A Stellar Flare of Young Adult Writing and Visual Art
by FARAH GHAFOOR
Hunting Season: A Personality Quiz
1. tiger pelts and rifles.
2. 17% fluent in portuguese.
3. singing lullabies to things bleeding into brown.
4. embedded smuggled tusks found in somebody else’s body. dare to look for them.
5. a fondness for overweight ghosts.
6. thigh muscles twitching sporadically
7. prefer to hold the reins. don’t just sit in the carriage.
8. gluttony ❤
how to be both holy and broken
I. in your first life, they gave you a star.
and you burnt yourself, boiled and blistered.
you fell and become the black things nobody likes.
II. you loved man so much you saved them.
but a sketchy hero will be the victim turned villain
if he is deceived and chased out.
III. what is the difference between mountains and molehills?
one builds his home
and you asserted it.
IV. such a great mighty beast – poached.
slaughtered flesh, a mane, that blinks and grins.
there was no king after you.
V. you’ve sunk so low, a shipwreck, the Titanic.
but still you laugh at death,
a sharp frozen thing in front of you.
Farah Ghafoor is a fifteen year old poet who lives in Ontario, Canada, where she enjoys smelling perfume samples and deserves a cat. She is a co-founder/editor at Sugar Rascals. Her work is published or forthcoming in Alexandria Quarterly, alien mouth, Whirlwind, Moonsick and elsewhere. Find her online at fghafoor.tumblr.com.